Rohrer & Klingner — sketchINK® Marlene — Ink Review #6

 Rohrer & Klingner — Sketchink - Marlene

 

Ink Review # 6

 

Originally posted on FPN: Aug 28, 2020

 

Ink: Marlene

Series: sketchINK®

Type: Pigment ink

Brand: Rohrer & Klingner

Country: Germany

Availability: 50 ml bottle

Pens Used: Ahab semi-flex, Jinhao 450

Description

In my exploration of waterproof inks, I was long intrigued by the beauty of Marlene. It’s one of those rich full-bodied blues with lovely shading with the Ahab. It’s an ink that makes me happy. As I wrote my writing sample, I realized I was whistling this tune.



A lovely nostalgic song, from one of the darkest hours in human history. Yet also a song that saved two lives.



 I often wonder if the marketing guys at R & K gave this name consciously, after Marlene Dietrich and her seminal movie the Blue Angel or if it’s all just subconscious… 

Note on pigment inks: Pigmented fountain pen inks are best used in well-sealed pens that are easy to dismantle. Regular cleaning is advisable, and pen flush may be needed if water alone is not enough.

Chroma

Writing samples

Rhodia 

Midori 

Whimsical text written with an Ahab semi-flex


Comparison 



· Shading: Beautiful with Ahab.

· Ghosting: Depending on the nib/ flow combination.

· Bleed through: As above.

· Flow Rate: Average. 

· Lubrication: Good.

· Nib Dry-out: No.

· Start-up: Depends on the pen.

· Saturation: A lovely deep sky blue.

· Shading Potential: No.

· Sheen: Some on Tomoe River paper. 

· Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None.

· Nib Creep / “Crud”: Yes, on some pens.

· Staining (pen): Nope.

· Cleaning: You’ll need a pen flush for long-term use. 

· Clogging: No.

· Water resistance: Yes.

 

Retrospective note: In retrospect, I don’t like this ink as much as I did when I wrote the review. I find the color rather flat and now mostly mix it with Klara. Even in a Pilot Varsity, I need to keep the pen nib-down to avoid flow issues.

 

eel free to share your experience, feedback, or any other comments. The more the merrier. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noodler's — Polar Green — Ink Review #5

Jacques Herbin — Couleurs de Paris Bistro Parisien — Ink Review #266

Zerkon No. 76 — Crushed into Dust — Ink Review #270