Ink Institute — Cat at Noon — Ink Review #19

Ink Institute - Cat at Noon

 

Ink Review # 19

 

Originally posted on FPN: Jul 20, 2021

 

Ink: Cat at Noon
Brand: Ink Institute
Country: Taiwan
Availability: Only in 30 ml bottles
Pens Used: Noodler’s Ahab semi-flex, Lamy Safari B

 

Description

I got this ink on a whim. I have nothing to compare it with. It's very pale, almost transparent pink. The bright color was a drop of ink that never got absorbed by the paper.

This ink has flow issues. Lamy did not like it; I had to prime it often. For Ahab, after a couple of days, it was acceptable.

The writing experience was akin to writing with water. I use quite a bit of iron gall inks, Essri is Sailor Doyou compared to this one. 😄

The nib got caught in the paper fibers due to lack of lubrication. Pity. The color is a lovely, almost golden orange-salmon.

The one good experience I had was sketching, when there was ink flow. This color would probably be very nice in a room but not for normal day-to-day writing. 

Ironically, this ink has some water resistance:

In retrospect it could be used either with very wet fude nibs or brush pens for artwork. 

Writing Samples

Peter Pauper

The line below is without any pressure, with a Lamy Safari B on absorbent paper. 

Field Notes

Absorbent paper. 

Comparison


Water test

Artwork

Midori: Scan followed by photo. 

Ink Characteristics

·      Ghosting: None.
·      Bleed through: None.
·      Flow Rate: It took a day to work in Ahab. Needed constant priming in Safari.
·      Lubrication: Nonexistent.
·      Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
·      Start-up: Difficult to say. The ink is so pale that at times I wasn't sure if I was writing at all.
·      Saturation: No. 
·      Shading: Yes.
·      Sheen: No.
·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: See for yourself.
·      Nib Creep: Nope.
·      Staining (pen): No. 
·      Clogging: None.
·      Cleaning: One of the easiest inks to clean.
·      Water resistance: Ironically, it has some water resistance.

 

Feel free to share your experience, feedback, or any other comments. The more the merrier. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noodler's — Polar Green — Ink Review #5

Jacques Herbin — Couleurs de Paris Bistro Parisien — Ink Review #266

Zerkon No. 76 — Crushed into Dust — Ink Review #270