Fritz Schimpf — Sundowner — Ink Review #36

Fritz Schimpf — Sundowner

 

Ink Review # 36

 

Originally posted on FPN: Dec 12, 2022

 

Ink: Sundowner
Brand: Fritz Schimpf
Country: Germany
Availability: 30 ml bottles
Pens Used: Jinhao 450 (M/ fude), Lamy Safari B

Description

I reviewed this ink as part of a group blind test on the FPGeeks website.

It was a revelation, and if I were not so much fixated on waterproof inks, this would have been my go-to reddish-orange ink. The ink has a softness to it that every time I use it, I’m filled with joy.

However, as there’s no such thing as a perfect ink, this ink has one major drawback. The cleaning is a pain. It took me two days and three helpings of pen flush to remove the red dye. 

This is the second day after letting the pen soak overnight in the pen flush: 

So be forewarned if you’re an ink hopper.

Chroma

Writing Samples

Rhodia

Dry time on Rhodia

Midori

Tomoe River 68 gsm

Note: Tomoe River used here is 68 gsm, not the thinner 52 gsm version commonly referenced in reviews.

Mnemosyne

 

Comparison

(Note: mystery 46 is our ink)

 

Water test

Artwork

Tono & Lims Hiiragi, Fritz Schimpf - Sundowner 

Ink Characteristics

·      Shading: Lovely.
·      Ghosting: Yes, on cheap paper.
·      Bleed through: Same as above.
·      Flow Rate: Good.
·      Lubrication: Good.
·      Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
·      Start-up: Not noticed.
·      Saturation: Soft.
·      Shading Potential: Good.
·      Sheen: None.
·      Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed.
·      Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.
·      Staining (pen): I doubt it.
·      Clogging: Nope.
·      Water resistance: Meh!

Feel free to share your experience, feedback, or any other comments. The more the merrier. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Noodler's — Polar Green — Ink Review #5

Jacques Herbin — Couleurs de Paris Bistro Parisien — Ink Review #266

Zerkon No. 76 — Crushed into Dust — Ink Review #270