Tono & Lims Hiiragi — Ink Review #41
Tono and Lims Hiiragi
Ink Review # 41
Originally posted on FPN: Jan 15, 2023
Ink: Hiiragi
Series: Fixation line
Type: Pigment ink.
Brand: Tono and Lims
Country: Japan / South Korea; ink made in Korea.
Availability: 30 ml bottles.
Pens Used: Pilot Kakuno M, Jinhao 450 medium, Kanwrite ultra-flex, TWSBI Go stub.
Description
This is my first pigment ink from this brand.
According to Shigure Inks, Tono & Lims is a Japanese brand whose inks are a collaboration with South Korean ink producer Lim's Lab. The inks are made in Korea.
This is a pigment ink belonging to the Tono & Lims Fixation Line for fountain pens. It comes in cute glass bottles, which is very appealing.
The name of the ink, 柊 Hiiragi, corresponds to Osmanthus heterophyllus, or false holly, a lovely shrub with dark holly-shaped leaves and fragrant flowers.
I am guessing the color corresponds to young shoots or to the yellowish-green of a certain cultivar.
At my first filling, I was ready to throw the ink down the drain. However, after forgetting it in my pens for a while, some feeds got happy (the Kanwrite and the Jinhao 450).
The ink is vaguely lubricated, and depending on the feed, it can be wet like a blob of spinach juice.
For someone who is quite tolerant of naughty inks, I have rarely cursed an ink. Well, this is one. But then again, if you like a challenge, try this unsaturated, water-resistant pigment ink. You know who you are.
It could be used for sketching or writing passive-aggressive letters in an EF/F nib to someone you don't like.
In retrospect, I have used this ink successfully as a drawing ink, but personally I prefer diluting darker inks to achieve lighter colors.
Note on pigment inks: Pigmented fountain pen inks are best used in well-sealed pens that are easy to dismantle. Regular cleaning is advisable, and pen flush may be needed if water alone is not enough.
Chroma
Writing Samples (scan)
I used a Pilot Kakuno M as a replacement for a European F nib and reverse wrote with a F Lamy Safari to create an EF line.
Rhodia
Midori
Tomoe River 68 gsm
Maruman Mnemosyne
Cheap paper - front
It does like cheap paper very much from the front.
And not so much from behind.
Cheap paper - back
Comparison
I have no ink even close to it.
🎨 Artwork
Scarf
Tono & Lims Hiiragi, Fritz Schimpf - Sundowner
Vista of the realm of forgotten Gods.... Inktober year-long challenge 2025: VistaFrom an Aztec temple and Yggdrasil, abandoned gods observe one another, forgotten.Tono & Lims Hiiragi, Tintenlabor Aprilia Argente, Noodler's Polar Brown, De Atramentis Document Orange / CyanInktober year-long challenge 2025: Axolotl Axolotl cursed his namesake, the Aztec god of transformation for abandoning it in a world where humans have driven its species to the brink of extinction.Tintenlabor April's Argente iron gall ink, J Herbin Bouquet d'antan, Tono and Lims Hiiragi
Ink Characteristics
🎨 Artwork
Tono & Lims Hiiragi, Fritz Schimpf - Sundowner
Ink Characteristics
Shading: I let you be the judge.
Ghosting: No.
Bleed Through: Depending on the paper.
Flow Rate: Dry. But with time and the right feed, it becomes better. Not recommended for EF/F nibs unless you use super absorbent paper.
Lubrication: Nonexistent.
Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
Start-up: Regularly.
Saturation: Pale, almost illegible. But with time and evaporation it becomes better.
Shading Potential: See for yourself.
Sheen: None.
Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Not noticed.
Nib Creep / Crud: Yes.
Staining (Pen): I doubt it.
Clogging: No, but flow is iffy.
Water Resistance: Good. Some colour was removed when rubbed with a Q-tip.
Closing
This is a very pale ink with little to no lubrication. I can only recommend it for brushwork or fude nibs. Otherwise, I'll stay with a darker green. 😊
Comments
Post a Comment