Jacques Herbin Violet Boréal — Ink Review #133
Jacques Herbin Violet Boréal
Ink Review # 133
Originally posted on FPN: Jul 3, 2024
Ink: Violet Boréal
Brand: Jacques Herbin
Country: France
Availability: 50 ml bottle, 7-Pack Long Cartridges
Pens Used: Lamy (reverse EF, EF, F, M, B, 1.1), Kanwrite with an Ahab nib.
Description
This was the second ink in a five-ink blind test on FPGeeks website.
This is a lovely purple up to M nibs; with broader nibs, it becomes more anemic. It’s very wet, but behaves decently on copy paper. So, if you want a good purple that behaves well on copy paper, it might be the one for you. On the other hand, if you use wet pens, it might not be the one for you.
While there’s some shading, I would not consider this a shading ink.
The ink stayed in the pen for two and a half weeks. After an overnight soak, I had to use a cleaning solution to make sure that the purple residue was completely gone.
Chroma
Writing Samples
I used the reverse side of an EF nib to create a UEF line.
B was the code name for Violet Boréal in the blind test.
Text is from Non Campus Mentis: World History According to College Students. The spellings are reproduced as the students wrote them
Despite what the scan might show, the performance is much better than J Herbin Violette Pensée.
As you can see, using a very wet flex pen on copy paper is not a good idea.
Rhodia
Midori
Tomoe River 68 gsm
Hammermill 20 lb
Photo
Comparison
Water Test
Left side 10 seconds under running water. Sketch was done with a glass nib, hence more ink.
Artwork
Will it rain?
R &K Helianthus, Noodler's Lexington Gray, Faber-Castell Aquarelle pencil, and the blue-grey is Taccia Hiroshige Utagawa Ainezu
Psychedelic forest
I don't know the name of the sea-glass ink which I've used in different dilution for the sky and the land.
You can also see the contrast between a real dark grey ink Lexington (diluted) vs Taccia Ainezu
Noodler's Lexington Gray, Faber-Castell, and blue-grey is Taccia Hiroshige Utagawa Ainezu
Ink Characteristics
- What I liked: I liked it up to M nibs.
- What I did not like: Broad nibs onward, too wet.
- What some might not like: Same as above.
- Shading: Meh!
- Ghosting: Not much on cheap paper.
- Bleed through: Faint, only with flex.
- Flow Rate: Very Wet.
- Lubrication: Slightly below average.
- Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
- Start-up: Ok.
- Saturation: Rich.
- Shading Potential: Meh!
- Sheen: No.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
- Staining (pen): No.
- Clogging: Did not notice.
- Cleaning: In the end I had to use a cleaning solution.
- Water resistance: Dismal.
Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples, or any other comments. The more the merrier. 😊
Comments
Post a Comment