Rohrer & Klingner Iron Gall Nut Ink Ebony — Ink Review #140
Rohrer & Klingner Iron Gall Nut Ink Ebony
Ink Review # 140
Originally posted on FPN: Aug 14, 2024
Ink: Ebony (Iron Gall Nut Ink)
Brand: Rohrer & Klingner
Country: Germany
Availability: Limited Edition 2023; 50 ml bottles.
Pens Used: Lamy Safari (Reverse EF, EF, F, M, B, 1.1), Noodler's Nib Creaper semi-flex
Description
This is a limited-edition 2023 ink by R&K. It’s a purple-tinged iron gall ink, that depending on the light and the pen, can look brown, purple or grey.
As of the date of this review, it is still available at Jet Pens in North America, and Stilo et Stile in Europe.
It’s one of those inks, that I wanted to keep using and using, and I was sad when I had to empty the pen.
It has a lot of character.
At first, I was surprised by the lack of lubrication. But as time went on, it became a very pleasant writer. So, give it a chance to settle in the pen.
It’s a water-resistant ink, but it has to dry for at least 24 hours. What surprised me most was its bad behaviour on copy paper. It didn’t behave like a “normal” iron gall ink.
If you are thinking of using this for artwork, note that the purple dye washes away.
It’s very easy to clean, but I believe a wet, well-sealed pen would be best suited for it.
Cleaning Note: Like all iron gall inks, flush with water first. For stubborn residue, use a small pinch of pure ascorbic acid in water, then rinse thoroughly. Avoid ammonia-based cleaners with iron gall inks.
An ultrasonic cleaner can help with removable pen-safe parts, but avoid it with fragile vintage materials, plated trim, or anything uncertain.
Chroma
Writing Samples
I reverse wrote with an EF nib to create the Ultra EF nib. Surprisingly, dry times are long.
Rhodia
Midori
Tomoe River 68 gsm
Hammermill 20 lb
Here I added two final lines by a "true" iron gall ink, to show you how a "real" iron gall ink should behave
Photo
I took the photo a week later to see if it darker. Note the scan is grey, the photo purple
Comparison
Water Test
Left side 10 seconds under running water. Sample was written with glass nib. So amount of ink is more than a normal nib.
The paper was still humid when I scanned the image. Ink has been applied 24 hours before.
Artwork
I really enjoyed doing artwork with this ink.
Talens Mixed Media Pocket Sketchbook
I Wanna Be Loved By You!
A nod to Some Like Hot 1959 movie, on a tan Clairefontaine Mixed Media paper (A5)
The Egyptian
Inspired by Ancient Egyptian cat art.
Noodler's Lexington Gray ( diluted + Sailor Kiwa-guro), Rohrer and Klingner Ebony, Monteverde Malibu Blue. Talens Mixed Media Sketchbook.
Ink Characteristics
What I liked: The colour, writing, doing washes, and cleaning.
What I did not like: It is not a "true" iron gall.
What some might not like: It's a bit dry at first.
Shading: Faint.
Ghosting: Yes, on cheap paper.
Bleed through: Yes, on cheap paper.
Flow Rate: Wet.
Lubrication: Slightly below average
Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
Start-up: Ok
Saturation: Nice and dark
Shading Potential: Diant
Sheen: No.
Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
Nib Creep / “Crud”: Did not notice.
Staining (pen): No.
Clogging: Did not notice.
Cleaning: Very easy
Water resistance: Very good with time, but note if the ink is just applied and it rains, the purple dye will separate and you'll have mess
Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples, or any other comments. The more the merrier. 😊
Comments
Post a Comment