Octopus Write & Draw Green Tiger — Ink Review #171
Octopus Write & Draw Green Tiger
Ink Review # 171
Originally posted on FPN: Feb 13, 2025
🧾 Description
I really like Octopus inks, especially their Write & Draw series. These are my favourite waterproof and lightfast inks. They are very well behaved, well priced, dependable, and a pleasure to use.
This is a lovely calm green pigment ink with medium shading from the Write & Draw series, purrfect for all those feline lovers. 🐯
It is excellent on copy paper.
Cleaning was easy. However, as with most pigment inks, it can stick to hidden parts of the pen, such as the threads of the section. I do not recommend it for pens that cannot be dismantled or for overly expensive pens. However, if you have had a long experience with pigment inks, you should be fine.
As always, when using pigment inks, it is good to have a cleaning solution nearby if the pen needs extra help.
🧪 Chroma
Chroma
✍️ Writing Samples (scan)
JEF stands for Japanese EF nib.
I used the original spelling from Blake's quote, which led to spelling fiascos here and there.
Rhodia
Iroful
Midori
Tomoe River 68 gsm
Hammermill 20 lb
📸 Photo
A closeup on Tomoe River 68 gsm paper.
Rhodia
Tomoe River 68 gsm closeup
🔍 Comparison
💧 Water Test
Left side: 10 seconds under running water. After 24 hours.
🎨 Artwork
I had lofty ideas with this ink, but time and skill constraints did not make my dreams come true.
The Endangered Species
It is a pity that we as a species are responsible for so much destruction. Paper is Fabriano Mixed Media. The paper is very white.
Tigey
This is more squiggly, tigey, and taking life not so seriously. Note how the colour changes on this cream Talens notebook.
What I Liked: Colour.
What I Did Not Like: Nothing much.
What Some Might Not Like: AFOPI: Abnormal Fear of Pigment Inks.
Writing Experience: Smooth and dependable.
Pros: Well behaved, waterproof, lightfast, good on copy paper.
Cons: Pigment ink cleaning habits apply.
🧷 Ink Characteristics
Shading: Moderate.
Ghosting: None.
Bleed Through: None.
Flow Rate: Wet.
Lubrication: Good.
Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
Start-up: Good.
Saturation: Medium.
Shading Potential: With wider nibs.
Sheen: No.
Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
Nib Creep / Crud: Did not notice.
Staining (Pen): Did not notice.
Clogging: No.
Cleaning: Water only, but I scrubbed the section.
Water Resistance: Excellent.
💬 Closing
No fountain pens were harmed in preparing this review. 😉
Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples, or any other comments. The more the merrier. 😊
Comments
Post a Comment