Diamine Graphite — Ink Review #206
Diamine Graphite
Ink Review # 206
Originally posted on FPN: Oct 05, 2025
---
🧾 Description
Ink: Diamine Graphite
Available: 30/80 ml bottles from most vendors.
Pens Used: Pilot Kakuno EF, Lamy (EF/F/M/B/ stub 1.1), Karas Vertex with an ultra-flex Bock nib from FPNibs.
Diamine Graphite is wet, dark grey color with green undertones. Shading is minimal, only with M/B nibs.
Color is most intriguing with a Stub nib as the green comes through.
But with other nibs it was good, i.e. even with the Japanese EF Pilot Elite. ;)
Ink behaves well in general, but there might be some ghosting. Bleed-through will happen if you use a very wet pen.
I kept the inks for a month in my pens, so in the end I resorted to cleaning solution and pen jacuzzi to clean the pen. :bath:
I most enjoyed this ink for drawing. As a writing ink I enjoyed it most with a very wet flex pen.
---
🧪 Chroma
---
✍️ Writing Samples (scan)
JEF stands for Japanese EF nib.
Rhodia / Iroful
Midori /Tomoe River 68gsm
Hammermill 20lb
📸 Photo
Rhodia/ Iroful
Hammermill 20 lb
🔍 Comparison
---
💧 Water Test
---
🎨 Artwork
One can appreciate Diamine Graphite’s impressive tonal range, shifting from deep black to pale greenish blue in art.
Inktober 2025 - Day 4 - Murky
Inspired by film noir’s murky, moody aesthetics. It was inspired by a scene from the Third Man (1949).
It also shows off the dynamic range of Diamine Graphite.
Karas Customs Vertex with FPnibs ultra-flex, Pilot Kakuno, Water brush, Talens Mixed Media Sketchbook.
Inktober 2025 - Day3 - Crown
Now who is the king?
Diamine Graphite, Tintenlabor Schokolade, Pebeo gold marker, Talens Mixed Media Square Pocket Book
Inktober challenge 2025: Day 5: Deer
Diamine Graphite, Hosia Ink Studio Gardenia, Talens Mixed Media Square pocket.
---
- What I Liked: Color for artwork, wetness,
- What I Did Not Like: I was surprised by the low lubrication with EF/F European nibs.
- What Some Might Not Like: Not much shading, lack of water resistance.
- Writing Experience: Good with most nibs. The dark grey makes it legible,
- Pros: Price, colour, artwork.
- Cons: Low lubrication with EF/F nibs.
🧷 Ink Characteristics
- Shading: Minimal.
- Ghosting: With some nibs.
- Bleed Through: Same as above.
- Flow Rate: Wet
- Lubrication: Low with EF/F Safari
- Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
- Start-up: Great.
- Saturation: Dark Grey
- Sheen: No
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
- Nib Creep / Crud: Did not notice.
- Staining (Pen): No.
- Clogging: No.
- Cleaning: It’s best using an ammonia-based cleaning solution.
- Water Resistance: Meh!
---
💬 Closing
I really enjoy working with this dark grey, complex with green undertones for the 2025 Inktober challenge. As a writing ink, it’s fun for those who must use black inks, but need to rebel. :D
No fountain pens were hurt in preparing this review. 😉
Please don’t hesitate to share your experience, writing samples, or any other comments — the more the merrier. 😊
Comments
Post a Comment