Pelikan Edelstein Apricot Achat — Ink Review #221
Pelikan Edelstein Apricot Achat
Ink Review # 221
Originally posted on FPN: Jan 07, 2026
---
🧾 Description
Available: 50 ml bottled.
Pens Used: Pilot Kakuno F3A, Lamy (EF/F/M/B/ Stub 1.1) , Kanwrite Desire with a FPR Ultra-flex nib.
It’s a wet bright orange ink, lacking in the lubrication department. It has subtle shading. It ghosted and bled through on copy paper and with a wet flex nib on Iroful and a bit on Rhodia.
Despite a lovely name, I find the colour harsh and slightly fluorescent. But then I don’t like orange inks much.
As the scans were off, I took photos only.
As a writing ink it’s legible. I would say this ink is perfect for journaling on grey days, when we need brightness. For me its saving grace was in ink washes.
---
🧪 Chroma
---
✍️ 📸 Writing Samples (Photos daylight and LED light)
I realized in mid-process of the review that some of my nibs weren’t cleaned properly. Hence the messiness. :)
“In nature, nothing is perfect and everything is perfect.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer
Iroful
“Freedom is not the absence of necessity, but the knowledge of it.”
— Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, German philosopher
Thought is the courage of the intellect.”
— Hannah Arendt, German philosopher
Tomoe River 68 gsm
“The stone is a frozen wave.”
— Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer
Hammermill 20lb
— Friedrich Nietzsche, German philosopher
🔍 Comparison
Col-O-ring. Scans are approximative.
---
💧 Water Test
---
🎨 Artwork
A Grey Rose on an Orange day!
This was done on the back of a receipt.
Another sketch of our cat, while she was sitting on my lap on the back of a the same receipt (copy paper) as above.
Tintenlabor Tannewald (Green Iron gall ink), Pelikan Edelstein Apricot Achat, copy paper. Image size
Sunset
Inktober52, 2025: SUNSET.
Inspired by our cat and her love of her basket.
Mouse was mad at Kitty who wanted to have a long nap on such a bright and sunny day.
Jacques Herbin Gris Galet (grey) , Pelikan Edelstein Apricot Achat (orange), Tintenlabor Tannenwald (iron gall dark green), Talens Mixed Media Notebook.
---
- What I Did Not Like: Writing with, lack of lubrication, harshness.
- What Some Might Not Like: Paleness, lack of lubrication.
- Writing Experience: Meh!
- Pros: For art.
- Cons: Harsh ink. Lack of lubrication.
🧷 Ink Characteristics
- Ghosting: Yes, on copy paper.
- Bleed Through: Same as above.
- Flow Rate: Wet.
- Lubrication: Meh!
- Nib Dry-out: Did not notice.
- Start-up: Ok.
- Saturation: Nope.
- Sheen: No.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
- Nib Creep / Crud: Did not notice.
- Staining (Pen): No.
- Clogging: No.
- Cleaning: Easy enough.
- Water Resistance: Not really.
💬 Closing
I’m not a fan of orange inks for writing, but I enjoyed using it for background ink washes.
No fountain pens were hurt in preparing this review. ;)
Comments
Post a Comment