Van Dieman’s Here Kitty Kitty — Ink Review #204
Van Dieman’s Here Kitty Kitty
Ink Review # 204
Originally posted on FPN: Sep 22, 2025
---
🧾 Description
Ink: Van Dieman’s Here Kitty Kitty
Brand: Van Dieman's
Country: Australia
Available: 30 ml bottles worldwide.
Pens Used: Pilot Kakuno EF, Kaweco (EF/F/M/B/ BB, Stub 1.9) , Kanwrite with FPR Flex nib.
Van Dieman’s is a prolific ink company based in Tasmania, Australia.
Part of the Feline series, Here Kitty Kitty is a pale pink, beige ink with heavy gold shimmer.
I don’t like shimmer inks in general, and this one is no exception. I made the mistake of reviewing it under artificial light. At times I couldn’t read what the “shimmer” I was writing.
Sometimes it was too bright, sometimes too pale. It is legible once it dries.
I could not ascertain if the flow was wet or not, at times it was, but then it stopped writing. It might be I didn't fill the pen enough or there was just too much shimmer.
Yet, I can see some enjoying this type of colour for a secret journal or writing breakup letters to disappointing partners blinding them with fury. :D
I most enjoyed it for drawing. It has a pleasing colour.
---
🧪 Chroma
---
✍️ Writing Samples (scan)
JEF stands for Japanese EF nib.
Rhodia / Iroful
Midori /Tomoe River 68gsm
Scan is off.
Hammermill 20lb
📸 Photo
Rhodia/ Iroful
Midori / Tomoe River 68 gsm
Hammermill 20lb
Close-up Shimmer
If there’s one image to remember, it’s this one!
🔍 Comparison
---
💧 Water Test
---
🎨 Artwork
Romeo, Romeo
I used a bit of Herbin Gris Nuage, and a touch of Noodler’s Eel Red Rattler, Paper is Talens Mixed Media.
---
- What I Liked: The base color. Drawing.
- What I Did Not Like: Too much shimmer, hard stops, too bright under artificial lights.
- What Some Might Not Like: Shimmer, pale.
- Writing Experience: Shimmer hell.
- Pros: Lovely base colour, shimmer.
- Cons: Pale color and shimmer.
🧷 Ink Characteristics
- Shading: I don’t know.
- Ghosting: Faint.
- Bleed Through: A hint with BB
- Flow Rate: I’m not sure.
- Lubrication: Below average.
- Nib Dry-out: Not sure.
- Start-up: Depends.
- Saturation: Really?!
- Sheen: I think not.
- Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Did not notice.
- Nib Creep / Crud: Did not notice.
- Staining (Pen): No.
- Clogging: At times I had to use a waterbrush.
- Cleaning: Because of shimmer I went with pen jacuzzi.
- Water Resistance: Ok.
---
💬 Closing
While I don’t like shimmer inks in general, in retrospect I found the colour soothing and peaceful, especially for drawing.
No fountain pens were hurt in preparing this review. 😉
Please don’t hesitate to share your experience, writing samples, or any other comments — the more the merrier.😊
Comments
Post a Comment